I wanted to take one entry to share some of the things I have been learning over the last few months. I have worked on making this blog an outlet (for me) to share and document the good and the bad of my life. I know a lot of you (friends and family) have enjoyed reading my blog and have shared in conversation how I often make things seem easy (at least parenting). So, I feel like I need to set things straight:) Austin and I have hard times both in our marriage and in parenting. Austin and I fight (and it isn't always pretty). And I sometimes lose my patience with my kids.
Things aren't always easy. But we both work hard and are committed to making things right when we do something wrong. And the biggest "secret" to our "happy" family is our commitment to always learn and grow. We are by no means experts. We are just willing students in learning how to be a better spouse and parent. Some of the tools we have used are:
- Radio Broadcasts/Tapes - When Austin and I were dating, Momma P opened my world to books on tapes and radio broadcasts. During my commute I would listen to tapes on marriage and parenting mainly through FamilyLife and Focus on the Family. Austin and I have continued to listen to these throughout the last 13 years! With the digital age, you can now listen to many of these on itunes via podcasts.
- Marriage/Parenting Weekends - Austin and I have attended a FamilyLife Marriage Conference almost every years since we have been engaged. A lot of people think we are crazy doing this since the material is essentially the same every year. But through the different speakers and different phases in our lives. We have grown deeper in our relationship each time we attend. The years that we have missed the conference, we have spent one "marriage" weekend together (without the kids). Whether we attend the marriage conference or spend a weekend away....we take the time to work on our "State of the Union". Austin and I talk through how things are going. We are always guaranteed a fight. But it isn't a bad thing, because it is our opportunity to talk through the "cycle fights" and/or things that have been building up. After we get through the "ugly", we shift our focus on the future. We work on our goals and things we want to change/work on. Because of the "State of the Union" talk, our marriage is usual the strongest several weeks after the marriage conference. This is why we do it every year!:)
This last weekend Austin and I attended our first parenting conference. It was hosted by Focus on the Family. It was so nice to get different perspectives and ideas on parenting. I enjoyed the opportunity and look forward to reading some of the resources that they recommended. - Mentors/Accountability - Austin and I have been blessed to have a few mentors in which we feel comfortable talking to about marriage or parenting. Both Austin and I have a group of guys/girls that we meet with separately. We both are lucky to have people that hold us accountable to growing deeper in our relationship with Christ, marriage and parenting. It is our chance to share our failures and encourage each other on a weekly/monthly basis.
- Classes - We have gone through a few small groups and classes on marriage and parenting as well. My favorite was a class Poppa and Momma P had at church. They called it Dinner for Two. They provided childcare and dinner for 5 weeks. We went through a video/book, "Toward a Growing Marriage" by Gary Chapman. It was a GREAT video/book and would highly recommend it.
- MOPS - For me, MOPS has been a huge part of my growth and learning as a mom. I have been a part of different MOPS group and have grown through the guest speakers.
One last note, the bible is the main book we use in our house for marriage and parenting advice. I am not a reader. I don't have the time or the desire to read books....just being honest. But I have to share one. It is an easy read. Its a book that puts to words the home I want to create. The book is called "The Most Important Place On Earth" by Robert Wolgemuth. Before I read this book I had a vision for my home. And this books communicates a lot of the same goals and ideas for my family.
Okay, I'm stepping down off of my soapbox. I just felt led to share this. And I want to encourage YOU to do the same. Take one step at a time. And if you have any questions, let me know. As you can tell, I love talking about and helping people grow in their marriage and parenting.
1 comment:
Jamie,
Thanks for this post. We will check out that book, for sure. I also wanted to share a couple of books on parenting and motherhood that have been very helpful/important to me: The Power of a Positive Mom by Karol Ladd - there's nothing new here, but is full of very good encouragements and reminders and scripture that I found very helpful. Loving Our Kids On Purpose by Danny Silk is a great book on discipline. If you have heard of Love and Logic, that's what this book is based on, but from a Christian perspective. I'd be happy to talk more about either of these books and if you have any others that you would recommend, I'd love to hear about them! The Power of a Positive Mom I read with my Bible Study and it was a great book for that environment or MOPS, if you are looking for something. It comes with discussion questions and suggestions so no one has to work too hard to lead the group :).
Cherrylynn
Post a Comment