Friday, May 22, 2009

Waiting room (X2)

Have you ever had one of those days, where you think to your self...."I should get an award for that" or "I am definitely getting underpaid for what I do?". I"m sure most mom's feel that way....especially mothers of preschooler. I have had that on my mind 2 days in a row. Part of this may be because I am sick. So, being a mom you have no "sick days". Well, yesterday I took Jackson to the hospital. He has spit up a little blood on occasion and he got a temperature for a few days with no other symptoms. So, I started to worry. They did some tests on him....we are still waiting on results. But these "tests" resulted in a 4 hour wait in the hospital with 3 preschoolers! Now, for a germ-aphobe like myself, this is a great challenge to have your 3 kids not touch anything in the small hospital room for 4 hours. There was a lot of tv watching, treats, and washing of the hands to keep them busy. But I survived...and hopefully my kids stay healthy after this trip! My mom came at the end to help a little bit, which was such a relief. But I was so glad to have that experience over with.
Well, today, I took my car to the dealership to have them fix my automatic door that decides (on occasion) that it doesn't want to close! I had Drew and Jackson with me and asked how long it would take. The nice service man answered "Hopefully 30 minutes to an hour!". Oh I could only hope. After an hour waiting with Jack and Drew, I checked to see how things were going. They said it would take a little longer. Well, after waiting another 30 minutes with a man snoring next to me, I decided it was time to take a walk. So, we all walked around the car dealership for another hour and half before my car was fixed. Three hours keeping a toddler and an infant content. I'm exhausted! I was looking forward to my nap. So, I got home put Drew in bed. Jack was tired, ready for a nap, but I had him on my lap when I felt a rumble. And a foul odor creep up my nose....I feared looking down. But I did. I found a onsies with poop soaked through his back AND onto my shirt.....sweet! So, my much awaited nap for both Jack and I got delayed by a bath and starting a load of VERY poopy clothes....sigh.
I will say this....I don't get paid enough ($) for what I do and I don't get any special awards or recognition for being a mom. After all is said and done. I wouldn't trade it for the world. Drew taught me a little lesson on our way home. Drew talked about how he had fun playing with coins with mom, running around a "race track" in the parking lot, and playing hide and seek with a toy tire we found. He talked about it all the way home and at the end he said "Mom, let's do that again". I just smiled and I thought about how I saw today as a day wasted waiting in a dealership for 3 hours and he saw it as an adventure with mom! What a great lesson from my 3 year old on looking at the positive in any situation. So, today was not a day wasted. It was a rewarding day to have an adventure with Drew and Jack!:) Life is good!

3 comments:

Janice said...

I love Drew's lesson. I can certainly learn from it myself.

Unknown said...

All of this is so true! I loved this story and could completely relate. Don't you wish we could always see things from a child's perspective?

Susan said...

Jamie, you are the best mom!