Saturday, September 26, 2009

A Magical Trip: Part III

Day 5: Magic Kingdom
Today is our last full day at Disney. We feel so lucky that we were able to see everything we wanted to before our last day. We were able to relax today by going on a few rides at Magic Kingdom and enjoyed the pool today! My friend Sarah happened to plan her Orlando trip the same time we were coming to Disney and we also ended up on the same flight home!! Well, we met up with Ben, Sarah and her twin boys at Magic Kingdom. We enjoyed a few rides together and ate lunch together. After lunch we came home to swim at the pool…the kids had so much fun going down the water slide and swimming. We took a short nap and followed up with our last dinner with Chef Mickey. We followed up by going to Magic Kingdom to watch the Spectromagic parade one last time and the fireworks display. It was truly magical and Maddy kept telling us thank you repeatedly throughout the night and how special it was! She has always been into princesses! So, we knew this was a “prime time” for her. We decided to plan this trip and we are so thankful we did! It was so exciting to see her reaction to the parades, fireworks, shows, characters and rides. It was so magical for her (and Drew).
Maddy asked Aladdin where Abu was? He told her that he was up in the Swiss Robinson's tree. So, we tried calling for Abu
**
I think we got a fingerprint smudged on our lens. The next few pictures are a little blurry!
Jasmine, Maddy, Drew and Aladdin.
Maddy on Cinderella's Carousel

Brian, Drew, Maddy and Andy by the castle

Ben, Sarah, me (looking very short), Austin, Brian, Drew, Maddy and Andy!
Andy, Drew, Brian and Maddy getting ready for PhilharMagic show

Maddy and Drew riding the train
Drew and Maddy waiting in line at Chef Mickey's dinnerChef Mickey with Maddy
Goofy and Maddy

Pluto with Maddy and Drew (of course, he is trying to pluck at his whiskers!)

Drew eating a Mickey Mouse Mousse Oreo! YUMMY!

Maddy waiting for the parade
Drew playing with his new bubble light machine!Maddy and Drew's last picture with the castle!
Wishes Firework Show!

Lessons Learned
At work and in life I feel it is always important to have Lessons Learned after any projects/experiences! So, I feel the need to share my Lessons Learned from this trip. I think these are very valuable tips for those planning a trip to Disney:
  • Do not eat any buffet items that are closest to the edge.Now I am already very leary of buffets after watching one to many “investigative pieces” on the nightly news.But to add to the sketchiness of buffets, everyone has been sweating all day from the Florida heat and add a man with a little bit more of a belly…and you have a risky buffet! Trust me, I witnessed it.
  • Do not eat any seafood items at a buffet. I LOVE seafood and forgot my own rule on this since I rarely eat at buffets unless it’s at a wedding! Let’s just say your stomach will thank you for that tip.
  • There is nothing worse than having a child who is near a height cut off at Disney. Drew is probably just shy of 40 inches. This is a big cut off at Disney. But take away the crocs and put on running shoes and he is close to 40 inches (well, after we spike his hair). Well, Drew was able to ride on Star Tours and Soarin with no problem. Later in the day we went back for our fast pass for Soarin and forgot that Drew was near the cut off. Well, the lady working the front “checked” Drew and told him he was not tall enough . In my mind I was thinking “Oh no she didn’t… (with my finger pointing and the neck rollJ) …….just crush his dreams/excitement”. This lady seemed to take pleasure in turning away kids because I honestly think I saw a little smile when Drew started bawling that he couldn’t ride the Soarin ride again. After a big ice cream sundae Drew was over it…..but his momma was not over it! I had to take matters into my own hands. I looked through my purse and found disposable ponchos that I bought for the kids. I put one in each shoe and he was good the rest of the trip!:) So, if your child is near the cut off….there ain’t no shame in adding a little cushion to his steps!:)
  • There are no boundary rules at the opening of a Disney park. I have many examples of this throughout our vacation, especially on a full bus! But one morning we arrived at Epcot at opening. When they brought down the ropes, I had a lady in a motor scooter run over my ankles 3 times…..now the first 2 times, I gave her some grace. But the third time…well, I won’t tell you what I was thinking. I just let her pass me and glared at the back of her scooter and thought nasty thoughts….of what I could have done and said. It made me feel a little better. Just be forwarned that the opening of the parks brings out the ugliness in some people! And watch your heels!:)
  • I have watched the Iron Man Triathalon and have been in awe of their determination, endurance and will. I can’t imagine the feeling of accomplishment they must feel when crossing the finish line. Well, I have to say that the closest I can come to that….is surviving a day with toddlers at Epcot then Magic Kingdom. Our bus was completely packed. Drew was exhausted and he wanted me to carry him. So, I held him with one arm, held on to the bar with the other, held on to the stroller with my feet, while trying to stabalize throughout the bus ride to our hotel. My arm and legs were quivering by the time we got to the hotel….but I made it and was so glad to pass the finish line….or the hotel room doorpost. It was sweet relief and I slept like a baby!! Not sure what the lesson is here, but just be prepared for a test of your endurance!
  • Orlando airport/Disney are two fun and interesting places to people watch. The first time I realized this was when we were in line to the Disney Magical Express Line to the hotel. There was a man listening to his ipod with headphones. The line to get on the bus moved forward so, the man walked with his backpack onto the bus. Nothing unusual there, right? Well, zoom the camera behind him…..his wife with 2 kids, carseat, stroller, and 3 suitcases was behind him. She MARCHED her way onto the bus leaving everything behind to “kindly” “remind” her husband to help out. I couldn’t help but to chuckle deep down inside! Well, the upper 90 degree temperature, long lines, tired kids (with an increase level of sugar) and parents wanting their kids to get the “best seats” at a parade……..makes a great combo to people watch. I have to shamelessly admit, that I enjoyed the entertainment at times. But it mostly reminded me how lucky I am that Austin and I got along and worked together so well throughout the whole trip. We make a great team!:)
I think that's it. I know these posts have been long. I wanted to make sure I had it all down for our blog book that I am going to make for the kids.
Hope everyone is doing well!
Jamie

2 comments:

joy said...

Ha ha, leave it to you, Jamie, to know how to make your kids taller! :) Glad you had a great time at Disney.

Dean, Mel, Ben and Joey said...

whew. I am exhausted just reading about your trip! :) sounds like it was a great one. We debated on going to Disney this December, but think we're going to wait another year; joey is a bit too crazy right now! where did jack stay?