Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Crazy Hair Day = Crazy Day

This day was suppose to be a little crazy. But it was only suppose to be "Crazy Hair Day" at Maddy and Drew's VBS. Well, I woke up this morning and told Maddy that I would do what I did last year...which was to put her hair in lots of pigtails. Last year she was ok with the idea. This year, she said "MOM, I did that last year. I want something really crazy." So, I had to step it up!:) So, I googled crazy hair day ideas and the first link I clicked on had this idea to put pieces of hair in a straw. I had neon straws in my pantry. So, I decided to try it out once Jack took his nap. I put on Curious George and it took me 30 minutes to put it up!:) It looked so awesome if I might say so myself (in a Coolio kind of way!:) While I was busy being proud of myself and feeling like the greatest mom, Drew gave me a reality check. He yelled, "Mom, I have a problem." I found him on the toilet and he said "I lost my golf ball". Well, sitting on the toilet, I had a feeling where he "lost" it. So, I confirmed my suspicions and looked in the toilet. Yes, in the middle of his pile was a white and shiny golf ball. As much as I wanted to flush the toilet and just pray that it makes it down through the sewage abyss safely, I decided I needed a few minutes to think through my strategy to extract the golf ball. So, I put Drew in time-out to think through what he did. While he was stomping (yes, stomping) to time-out, he yelled "That's not fair. It's my favorite golf ball". Well, I responded with "Well, you shouldn't have had it while you were going to the bathroom." And he quickly, but quietly (under his breath) said "I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to myself.". I went ahead and assumed he was talking to himself again, so that I could get back to Drew's favorite golf ball. Well, I performed "surgery" with a tong (which I threw immediately in the trash) and thought to myself these are the days that I am highly underpaid.
After all was done, Drew told me later that his heart was broken today because he lost his favorite golf ball. Poor guy.....but let's be honest, poor mom. I am hoping it never happens again.
Well, I took Maddy and Drew to VBS and I wish I had a video camera. We were a few minutes late because of the toilet incident. And Maddy walked across the front of the room to her group. It was straight out of a movie. The room stood still.....every single head moved in slow mode to see Maddy's hair as she moved across the room. Maddy acted "humbled" by all the attention as I heard kid's whsiper "Look how cool her hair is" "Awesome!" It is an understatement to say that she enjoyed being in the spotlight! It was her moment!:) It was really cute. A lot of the kids told her how cool her hair looked throughout the day, and she LOVED the attention. It was a fun day for her. And I loved watching her enjoy it all.
Here are a couple pics of her hair:









Olivia and Maddy looked so cute with their crazy hair!

2 comments:

Amy, Michael, and Ella Garrison said...

I'm so glad you updated your blog-I always look forward to reading and seeing all the cute pics of the family. You def should win mom of the year for that hair do! I loved Maddy's poses, she is so cute.
Rob and Anna's girls are so beautiful. I can't believe how fast time has passed.

joy said...

Wow, Maddy's hair looks awesome! Great job! How did you get the hair through the straws? I am in awe of your crazy hair skillz. :)

And the golf ball story... Ugh, Poor thing, you are such a great mom. Love your stories!