Thursday, June 10, 2010

Top 10 for our 10th!

Today is our 10 year anniversary and 10 is a special number in our family.  My parent's anniversary is on May 10.  Our anniversary is on June 10.  Austin's parent's anniversary is on July 10.  Maddy was born on July 10.  Drew was then born on February 10.  Jack was born on November 10.  Whew! That's a lot of 10s!
Well, these last 10 years have been full of so many great memories.  Here are some highlights:  our many trips (Boston, Cape Cod, Maine, South Korea, Disney World, San Diego, St. Louis, Seattle, Mexico, Colorado), our evening walks together, buying our first house together, going on long hikes, white water rafting, canoeing, fishing, going out on dates, Family Life Marriage Conferences, going through childbirth, and so many more memories. I have treasured our time together.  In honor of our 10th anniversary I decided to write a top 10 list:  Top 10 Reasons Why I Love You, Austin.  Enjoy!


Top 10 Reasons Why I Love You, Austin.

10.  I love you because you "let me" sleep in some mornings.....until 7:15am:)  Austin is a morning person and I am a night owl. So, even after 10 years, we still have an ongoing battle.  One Saturday we were having a heated "discussion" because he told me that he "let me" sleep in.  And I had to remind him that to most of the world waking up at 7:15 a.m. on a Saturday morning is NOT sleeping in.  So, it's been an ongoing joke....that Austin will never hear the end of.
9.  I love you because you value and encourage our family to spend quality time with one another. I am a person who likes to stay busy, so I can get distracted by the busyness.  Austin has consistently placed a value on quality time with our family and I am so thankful for that.  Although I am half awake at breakfast.:)  I love that we eat breakfast together each morning and that you make it a priority to read the Picture Bible to the kids each morning. It is so cute to see the kids look forward to this time.  I love that you take each one of your kids on a date.  The kids have treasured their dates with you and it means so much to me that you take the time to invest in the kids lives and teach them life lessons during this time.  I also appreciate your motto "Make love everyday".  Don't get the wrong idea:) .....he just has said that we both need to take time to show one another that we love each other everyday.  That is some good advice to keep a marriage strong!:)
8. I love you because you have been patient through my stubbornness and struggles.  I think one of our biggest struggles early in our marriage was the fact that I grew up in a home where we never really fought.  We would get mad at one another but usually we went to our room angry, then the next morning we would act like nothing ever happened.  So, coming into our marriage, I had to slowly learn that that isn't really the way we could handle conflict in a healthy marriage relationship.  So, slowly...and I mean very slowly, Austin stood by me and pursued me until I realized the importance of fighting a good and respectable fight.
7.  I love you because you always make me feel like the most beautiful person.  In high school and college it was easy for me to focus on my flaws and always compare myself to other girls all around me. I think its part of growing up in this culture.  But one thing I can say about Austin is that he has always told me how beautiful I am.....even when I had cankles (no ankles) from being so swollen with my pregnancy and even when I was breaking out in hives from an allergic reaction to melons(seriously, think of Will Smith in Hitch...that was me).  I think it is pretty amazing that I have never heard Austin say anything negative about my body or the way I look.  I really appreciate that.
6. I love you because you give me a glimpse of God's love for me.  It has always been hard for me to grasp God's unconditional love for me. Austin has been able to share so many aspects of 1 Corinthians 13 (patience, kindness, not envious, not boastful or proud, not rude, not self-seeking, not easily angered, no record of wrongs, rejoices in truth, protects, trusts, hopes, perseveres, never fails.) with me over the years.  And although at times Austin disappoints me, proving that he is human!:)   Austin does remind me that there is one who loves beyond the capacity of any human.....because God's love is unconditional, unfailing and everlasting.
5. I love you because you are always willing to help around the house.  Austin grew up with all of his siblings rotating chores around the house.  He did everything from cooking, laundry, ironing, vacuuming, etc.  Because of this, Austin has stepped up around the house when I am needing some help.  I have never expected him to do many of the household chores since I am home with the kids, but when life gets crazy Austin is always there to step in.  And I know this is not always the case.  So, I appreciate it even more. 
4. I love you, because you complement me in so many ways.  Anyone who meets Austin and I can see that we are opposite in many ways.  We grew up in completely different backgrounds and family life.  I'm an extrovert and he's an introvert.  I keep my schedule crazy busy and Austin is happiest when we have only one thing planned in a weekend.  These are just a few.....but these difference have refined both of us to be a better person.  We have been able to balance each other out to make us somewhat "normal"! Or so I think:) 
3. I love you, because most of the world sees you as a quiet man, but in the comfort of your home, you aren't afraid to have fun and even dance a little crazy with your wife and kids!:)  I love the fun we have when nobody is watching. I love that you come and give me a "passionate" kiss.......until the kids start to giggle!:)  I love that we spend a lot of time laughing as a family. 
2.  I love you, because you have made me a confident woman because of your love and encouragement throughout the years.  Our wedding bands have 1 John 4:18 "Perfect love drives out fear.".......which I had to clarify with the jewelry shop that the 1 in front of the John was very important because John 4:18 say "The fact is, you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband."  :)  I have to admit that when I read 1 John 4:18 10 years ago I'm not sure I fully grasped what that meant. But over the years, my security in both your love and Christ's love for me has made me a confident woman...in which I believe I can do anything I put my mind to.
1. I love you because you have made the last 10 years so special.  We have been so blessed these last 10 years. I have so many wonderful memories as we have traveled through life together.  Ever since high school, I have been a very independent person....and actually taking pride in the fact that I was self-reliant.  But after meeting you, I know that I am utterly incomplete without you.  You complete me in so many ways and make me the person that I am today.  Thank you for loving me.  And thank you for sticking around!:)  I look forward to many more decades together.....until we are old and wrinkly (well, at least you....I might have to try botox)!

2 comments:

Jarrad, Misty, Jenna, Josie Odle said...

You're so cute Jamie...I just love reading your blog! Absolutely beautiful! Congrats on 10 years together!

Rachel Wess said...

Jamie! I haven't read your blog in such a long time, and I'm so glad I just did! I absolutely LOVE this entry! What a beautiful tribute to Austin and to your marriage and to marriage as a whole! You guys are awesome!