Our relationship ended up being "long distance" (meaning we were always at least an hour away from each other) so we were able to see each on the weekends only (which is not enough, when you are in LOVE!:) So, Austin and I did A LOT of e-mailing, sending letters and talking on the phone (which was a stretch for a country boy who hardly ever talked on the phone before he met me. But when you're in love, you will do anything!:) I think because of this we were able to open up and get to know each other deeper than if we were in the same campus and saw each other daily. Our letters/e-mails were full of questions (both personal and spiritual). Austin was faithful in writing me love notes weekly, if not daily. I was always anxious to check my mail to read Austin's letters. It usually made me blush and feel like the luckiest girl in the world. I still have all of his letters in a box and it is so fun to read back!:)
Although our dating relationship was pretty smooth, we went through some rocky times. We were raised in completely different backgrounds and our personalities are completely opposite. If I saw bios of Austin and I, I don't think I would have ever put us together!:) But our differences challenged us and brought us closer together and forced us to work together. And because of that, it also helped strengthen our relationship.
A few memorable dates were: going to random bookstores and "playing Where's Waldo, going to shows (Stomp, Nutcracker, Miss Saigon), a trip to Chicago for "Taste of Chicago", a few of my sorority dances, hiking in state parks, and eating at many wonderful local restaurants in Bloomington.
Engagement:
I found a journal that Austin and I both wrote about our engagement so I am going to take excerpts to share the engagement story.
On June 18, 1999, I (Austin wrote this part) got Jamie an engagement ring. I was dying inside to show her what I had just bought. So, I decided I was going to ask Jamie's dad for permission to marry Jamie that night. Well, when we got home from a date, I asked Jamie's mom to talk to her dad, but he had gone to bed. So, I waited until the next morning (we were going canoeing with a friend early the next morning). I talked to Jamie's dad while she was getting ready and he said he needed to talk it over with Jamie's mom before he had an answer and would let me know. So, I was thinking he would let me know that day....or at least the next day. But, no, he made me wait 3 excruciating days before he called and told me he wanted to meet for dinner. So, I met both Jamie's mom and dad for dinner. At dinner, they gave me permission to ask Jamie for her hand in marriage. Now, one thing I need to note, is that before he gave permission to marry Jamie, he asked me if I wanted a big family (e.g. 10 kids). I told him no....if I said yes, I wonder if he would have still given me permission to marry Jamie!:)
(I take over the journal from this point) I had an internship orientation in Cleveland OH and I got sick during the week. So, when we spoke he told me he would have a special surprise for me when I got home. I didn't think much of it, since he would normally do something sweet for me if I had a bad week. Well, I almost missed my flight back home to Indy but finally made it to Indy a little flustered after running, no actually sprinting through Cleveland airport to make the flight. It was so great to see the one I love after a long, terrible week! So, we went out to dinner and then went back to the playground that we went to when Austin asked me to date him. He brought a bible and my "gift". He wanted me to read 4 verses before I got my "gift".
He had me read and said a little something about our relationship after each one.
- 1 Corinthians 13: 4-8 "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."
- 1 John 4: 16-18 "God is love, whoever lives in love lives in God and God in him. In this way, loves is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear."
- Song of Solomon 7: 6-7 "How beautiful you are and how pleasing, O love, with your delights! Your stature is like that of the palm and your breasts like clusters of fruit." I'm blushing. I can't remember what Austin said after each verse....but I wish I remembered what he said after this one! I definitely was wondering what he was up to at this point.
- Esther 2:17 " Now the king was attracted to Esther more than to any of the other women, and she won his favor and approval more than to any of the other women, and she won his favor and approval more than any other virgins. So he set a royal crown on her head and made her queen instead of Vashti." When I started reading this scripture, I got an idea of what was happening. So, my voice started quivering as I was reading this verse.


No comments:
Post a Comment