I know many of you are anxiously awaiting pictures and a write up of our Tahiti vacation (It was amazing!:) but it will have to wait. Since we got home, we have been busy and have just enjoyed time with the kids outdoors! So, I'll hopefully get to it soon.
One big update is that Tammy had her baby, Brooke Elizabeth. She was a July 4th baby and she is perfect in every way. I have a few pictures that I will post soon, too.
The reason for my update is to just share what's on my heart. I know if I don't write it now I never will. My mom had a trip planned to California for a non-profit organization that she is helping out with and to visit my aunt. So, my mom asked me to "dad-sit" for the few days that she would be away. I have to admit that staying with my dad bring slight anxiety to my life. I enjoy the time being around my dad, it's just stressful for a mom of a 20 month old. Their house isn't child-proof, it isn't my OCD standard of cleanliness (sorry, mom) and there is a high risk of hazards with my dad leaving/dropping medicine on the ground (which to a 20 month old can look like candy). But I always do it happily and I always know I have to let go of my anxieties.
Well, to give an update on my dad, my dad is hanging in there. It's has been hard to answer the question "How's your dad doing?" over the last year. Because as an example, yesterday, my dad was GREAT for 15 minutes. We had a great conversation and it gave me a glimpse of my dad's life without Parkinson's Disease. But just as I began to say "Dad, you are doing so great!" I looked over and he switched to being "over" (dyskenisa and dementia set in). It happens so quickly. And those 15 minutes reminded me of the few moments in "The Notebook" by Nicholas Sparks:(. Yesterday after my dad became "over", I was thankful for the time we spoke but sad because in the typical day the "normal" moments usually last 15 minutes and on a good day would total an hour. And to time that 15 minutes with a time that I am not busy taking care of the kids....is well near impossible. Because outside of the 15 minutes, my dad can't/doesn't really interact with anyone. So, having true, meaningful conversation with my dad has been rare in the last year.
But this week, I got 2 moments. One that I mentioned above and the other was tonight after the kids went to bed. I was thankful that I went into the study room to print off a few documents for a meeting tomorrow morning. My dad was sitting there a little "under" (rigid and slow to talk) but he opened up. He spoke for about 15 minutes.....just sharing about his desires for me and my life, his desires for the end of his life, etc. It was so sweet and I will cherish it for a long time.
I have always grown up with so much respect and love for my dad. My views haven't changed since his diagnosis. But I do miss the way it used to be. Tonight, I had time to reflect on the things I wish I could change. I wish my kids knew him the way I did growing up. I wish he could enjoy more time with my kids. I wish he could have fulfilled his dreams in traveling around the world after retirement. I wish his quality of life was better.
It's hard to watch a parent get sick. Especially since they are the ones that have taken care of you for so long. Well, tomorrow my mom comes home. I'm thankful for the time she was able to "get away". I know she will be refreshed having some time away. And I am thankful for the time I got with my dad. I am thankful for those 15 minute...it was the best 15 minutes in my day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
awesome. So glad you got some glimmers of "your old" dad during your time spent with him. What a blessing. And congrats on your new niece! I like her name :) Speaking of Brooke...if you get a chance "friend" my sister on facebook. Michelle Brand. I told her about your awesome Tahiti pics and she wants to see them if you don't care :)
Post a Comment