Saturday, May 29, 2010

Austin and Jamie Throwback Edition - Part I: Pre-dating

This year Austin and I will be celebrating our 10 year anniversary. I will probably write a sappy 10 year anniversary entry on our actual anniversary.  But leading up to the date, I was thinking it would be fun to do a Throwback Edition of Austin and Jamie.  Since I am going to make these entries into a blog book for each of my kids, I thought this would be a good time to document our love story!:)

So, for the first entry, I will write about how Austin and I started dating.  Now Austin and I each have our own versions of this, but since I am the one updating the blog, I get to write it!:)

I started going to Indiana University in the fall of 1996.  I started attending Campus Crusade for Christ(CCC) with my best friend, Becky.  In the fall, I became a Christian and my life changed forever.  I was on a high on life after this change in my life.  And I was enjoying every aspect of my relationship with Christ.  I was so satisfied with my new relationship that I was not actively searching for a boyfriend, like I had in my boy-crazy high school years. 
So, I started to get involve in a new Young Life Leadership team during the 1st semester, and throughout this time I met a lot of great friends from CCC and Young Life.  During the 1st semester I went to a Young Life Leadership meeting where we met all the other leaders and had dinner together.  And at this meeting, I remember all of us quickly introducing ourselves.  I remember this boy playing cards the whole time with "the guys" wearing a blue baseball cap introducing himself and after the night was over I went home with my friend Emily.  I told her that for some reason I had a weird feeling that the person I was going to marry was the boy in the blue hat.  We did not talk nor did I really know who he was. I just had that weird feeling.
Well, the boy in the blue hat was Austin.
I'd like to say that Austin had the same feeling and the next day he came to my dorm room and profess his love for me and that was the end of our love story!:)  But it isn't.  Austin likes to tell people that ever since that night I stalked him until he finally gave in and proposed to me.  Ha! He only dreams!  It was a little more drawn out than that. 
Well, after that night, I definitely didn't forget what I said to Emily but I didn't go out of my way to see him.  Our paths crossed many times with mutual friendships and activities.  But it wasn't until an eventful evening before our mutual acquaintance turned into a friendship.  I was over at the "Polish Palace", the house that Austin lived in, hanging out with some of Austin's roommates when one of the guys wanted to go spelunking (caving) at around midnight.  So, Emily, myself, and a few other guys got in my car to go caving. We were pulling out of the driveway when Austin came home and we invited him to go and he came along.  I had a Ford Tempo and we fit 4 people in the backseat! Well, we made it to the caving site and while were signing into the site, I thought of this brilliant idea that I would put my key on my shoe so that I didn't have to lug my big key chain (you know, the popular freshman key chain with your wallet/ID attached to it) while we were spelunking.  Well, we enjoyed our time caving and had a great time.  It wasn't until we were sitting in an open area in the cave talking when I realized something.  I grabbed my dorm key (the key I used most frequently....yeah, I'm trying to justify my stupidity) instead of my car key and put it on my shoe!  The second I realized this I yelled a 4 letter word that I have hardly ever said in my lifetime at that moment.....in which it echoed about a million times in a cave! Sweet! Well, we slowly made our way back to the car and noticed we were the only people at the cave (who goes caving after midnight.......obviously only college kids).  And the one thing I didn't mention is that this cave is in the middle of NO WHERE and this was pre-cell phone days.  So, 2 of the guys offered to walk over a mile to the 1st house to see if they could call for some help.  While they were doing this, Emily broke off and talked to somebody which left Austin and I.  I have to say that it was a beautiful night.  When you are in the middle of no where, the stars shine brighter and the moon was the only light that we had in the woods.  So, Austin and I took turns asking each other questions......just getting to know each other. We each asked some really deep questions and I remember that this night really sparked a true friendship where we shared with honesty and opened a little bit of our hearts.  It was probably over 2 hours before we were able to get help from our friend Brownie picking us up....but this "mistake" of the key swap was the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
After this evening, Austin and I kept in touch over e-mail.  Although we didn't get together often, we continued to ask each other some deep questions over e-mails and randomly got together with mutual friends.  At this point, I got to know Austin pretty well via e-mail (I know, how romantic:)  and I knew he was somebody that I would be interested in, if the feelings were mutual.  But I honestly didn't think that he was interested nor ever would be with me.  So, I was just thankful for a friendship with Austin.  It wasn't until the summer of 1997 when Dave Peters (a friend back then and now my brother in law), Austin and I were planning on getting together.....but then Dave backed out.  So, I told Austin we didn't have to get together, but Austin offered to still hang out (which is SHOCKING if you know how quiet, introverted and what a homebody Austin is:).  This was huge in my book.  Well, I remember making cookies to send to my friend Becky and having a great night together.  Finally near the end of the summer Austin asked me to go out to dinner to talk about "our relationship".  I was really nervous not knowing what that meant.  But I was hoping for the best that he was feeling the way I was feeling. 
We went shopping, went out to eat and then went to a playground at a nearby school.  It was starting to get late in the evening and no talk about our relationship....well, we stopped and watched the stars and started talking.  And Austin shared how he had not really dated anyone in the past and was interested in dating me. He set one ground rule: that we would put God first and center in our relationship.   My heart melt and I was the happiest girl in the world.  I can honestly say my life changed this day.
**The above picture is our first picture together.  The summer of '97!:)
Stay tuned to Part II:  Dating Years

1 comment:

Jarrad, Misty, Jenna, Josie Odle said...

you're way too cute :-)! the pics were so awesome too - i really think you should get into photography!