Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Art Class

Maddy's love of arts and crafts has grown over the last few months. She makes some amazing drawings and could color all day. I was so excited to hear that a friend from MOPs was starting an art class. I signed Maddy up and she has loved each class.
They have learned about Matisse over the last 2 classes. The first week they learned about still life and sculptures. Maddy created a sculpture and drew a picture of an eggplant, squash and pear. This week they learned about stencils. Maddy recreated the artwork of Icarus and another one of his famous art work (shown below). I have to share an innocent, yet embarrassing moment that happened at art class. The Icarus artwork below depicts the fall of Icarus after he attempted to fly to the sun. The art teacher, Anna, asked what do you think the red dot is? Maddy, obviously, knowing the answer, blurted out "Nipple!". Yes, there was a silence in the room for a second and I could feel my face feeling flushed!:) But, Anna so nicely handled it well and clarified that it was actually the heart. Maddy is having a blast and I am so thankful for Anna for her willingness to teach the kids so much about art! Enjoy the pictures!:)

Maddy painting an eggplant.
Maddy and Baylor working on their still life
Maddy's still life painting

Maddy's Icarus painting

1 comment:

ben said...

I don't think I would have said "heart" either. Too funny!