Thursday, July 29, 2010

Part III: Our "Honeymoon" in Tahiti

Day 5 and 6: Moorea
I've noticed with each entry, there is less text. I did most of these entries at 2 AM...so bare with me while I try to finish off these Tahiti pictures. These last few pictures are of our 2 days in Moorea and our last day at Papeete.  Our first day in Moorea, we were able to go to the famous Belvedere Lookout then a 3.5 mile hike. It was along a ridge separating the 2,887-foot-tall Mouaroa from the 3,960-foot-tall Tohivea.  It was a great hike with a beautiful view as our reward!  We also saw the most beautiful sunset ever.  My friend, Jessie has a saying when she see one "Good job, God".  And that was exactly my thoughts.  It is one of the few moments in life when every worry slips away and you see perfection.  Love it!  And there is something about watching a red/orange filled sky with the sun slipping away in the ocean that was very romantic and breathtaking.  The first night in Moorea, it was Polynesian Night.  The "Local Mamas" from Moorea demonstrated how to make leis and heis from fresh flowers.  They were so beautiful....so many bright and beautiful flowers.  There was a show "Tiare Tarona Nui" that was entertaining (well at least most of it, but there was 5 minutes...which felt like 5 hours) that I wish never happened.  Most of these shows have had an "audience participation" section.  I enjoy dancing but Ori Tahiti (Tahitian Dance) is something way beyond my abilities!   Well, to go back, there was an audience participation section and I didn't get chosen, but our friend Amanda did. So, I took tons of pictures and laughed at her being picked.....when I felt somebody tap my shoulder. It was one of the male dancers, and as much as I wanted to say "Thanks, but no thank you." It was too late and I was led up front.  I thought to myself, I'll make the most of it and just try my best.  Well, the music started....and it was slow and just a drum....when I realized this wasn't the typical Tahitian Dance. I was the "lucky" one that was picked for the embarrassing "sexual dance".  Yeah, the one that the audience enjoy seeing someone get embarrassed and turn bright red.  Well, the audience got that!:)  I just kept laughing and staring Austin in despair.  After what seemed like eternity, I took my walk of shame back to my seat and waited for my face to turn back to a normal shade (non-red hue). 
The next day we enjoyed a little shopping at Moorea and then laid out by the pool most of the day.  We enjoyed one last Ori Tahiti by the French Polynesia's #1 dance troupe.   I thought it was interesting to learn that in the mid-1700s the first Europeans arrived and the dancing appalled the missionaries.  And once these missionaries gained power and influence, the dances were outlawed, and went underground for over a century.  But don't worry, the dances were "saved" by those that "danced in secret".  And it wasn't until 1950s that the Ori Tahiti was restored and a "mascot" of this culture.  I was surprised to come home and see the show "So You Think You Can Dance" do their 1st Tahitian Dance when we returned!:) 
Day 7: Papeete
The last day, Austin and I strolled along a busy street market and shopped for the kids and our parents.  We then went to a hotel where we got a hotel suite to enjoy for the day as we waited for our red-eye flight back home.  We enjoyed the whole afternoon on a black sand beach (last 6 pictures).  And a wonderful infinity pool. We saw another beautiful sunset and the evening was a perfect end of our trip.  We were a little sad to be returning but were very anxious to see the kids again. I have to say the saddest part of leaving the cruise was the reality of coming home.  No made to order omelets every morning, no more fresh fish for dinner, no more cleaning lady to clean my room and do laundry and no more beaches:(  Regardless, it was THE perfect trip. Everything went the way I pictured it.  Austin and I had a great time. My favorite memory of the trip was sitting in the ocean next to Austin and just talking for hours!  We don't get that kind of time in the "real world". 
We are thankful for both of our parents for watching the kids and making it possible for us to go on this trip. I am thankful for Austin...for a great time and so many wonderful memories. 
 
Austin and I met Warren and Julie at our first dinner on the ship. They came on the cruise to celebrate their wedding anniversary and decided to renew their vows. So, they invited us to their renewal ceremony. It was very special and we were so happy to be a part of this special moment. I just met them a few days ago and I was tearing up at their renewal vows. Nothing better than seeing 2 people in love!:) 
 
We also met a wonderful newlywed couple, Matt and Amanda. We really enjoyed spending time with them throughout the week. 
Um, yeah. No words. I'm speechless....and that is a rarity.
Laughing my way through the "dance"
This was the most beautiful rainbows I have ever seen. I saw the complete arch and the end of the rainbow seemed to go into the ocean just a few feet away. It was another "Good job, God" moment. 
Our last of many rainbows that we saw throughout the week.

I couldn't resist taking a picture of this adorable girl. This picture you can see the black sand a little more distinctly.  We took some sand home for the kids and now we have it in a jar on our mantle (a small memory of our trip!:)

Our last sunset at Tahiti

1 comment:

Dean, Mel, Ben and Joey said...

Oh Jamie. I can only imagine what an incredible experience that was. I am so glad that you and Austin got to take the trip of a lifetime and loved all of the pictures and stories! Amazing!