Korean New Year is called Seollal. Ever since I was in grade school we have done a few of the traditions.
The first is called Sebae. The children wish their parents a happy new year by performing a deep traditional bow and the words "saehae bok manhi badeuseyo" which translates to please receive many blessings in the new year. Parents typically reward their gestures by giving their children new year's money. It is traditional to wear their bright colored hanbok. Well, this year Austin and I whipped out our hanbok that my parents bought us on our visit to Korea for New Year's. Although I am SURE Austin would have been just ok leaving them at home. He wore it for me!:) We had fun and have a few pictures from the day.
There have been a few years where we have played the traditional New Year's game "yut", but this year we did not. We just enjoyed a traditional Korean meal called "ddeokguk". It was a great day.
Steve, Tammy, Nolan and Kate
Justin, Naomi, and Ava
Our family
Austin thinking that he is funny throwing the traditional Asian sign....little does he know I have posted this. So, for those of you who are seeing this....enjoy before Austin sees it and deletes it from the blog:)
Since Austin and I didn't have hanboks at our wedding or the traditional Korean ceremony. Austin asked me to jump up on his back when we put on our costume. It is part of a traditional Korean wedding for the husband to give his wife a piggyback. I don't think Austin knew this but it is a sign that the husband is ready to support his wife. It's about time.....it only took 10 years!:)







2 comments:
Austin looks great! I'm thinking he should wear it to church on Sunday. How fun!
I love to hear about the Korean celebrations/traditions. I'd love to join you guys one of these years and have Joshua (and us too!) experience it all!!!
We love you and miss you girl!
JP
Post a Comment