Saturday, October 10, 2009

Grandpa Jack


I have to share my thoughts about my first memorial. I don't think it was a "typical" funeral/memorial (but I can't say for sure since this is my first service). Grandpa donated his body to MSU and because of this, there was no "rush" to have the funeral within a few days of his death, which is the reason for the delay. So, it was unusual to have a big gap from Grandpa's death and his memorial. I also have to share that on our way home, I told Austin it didn't seem like a typical funeral/memorial because I always envision having a portion of the memorial service where family and friends share memories of the deceased. Since there was not a portion where family and friends shared memories of grandpa, I didn't feel like there was closure of Grandpa's death. I shared this with Austin so when we came home and put the kids in bed, Austin and I shared things with our kids, things we wanted them to learn from Grandpa's life. So here is my memorial for Grandpa. Things I learned from Grandpa B:
  • Our family time is to be cherished, valued and enjoyed. All the time we spent with him, you can see the joy in his face. You could tell how much he enjoyed our company and was truly grateful that we came to visit them. He was a quiet man but he would quietly sit in his chair and just smile and enjoy talking to each one of us. He made each one of us feel so special and appreciated.
  • The importance of our wedding vows. Grandma and Grandpa had been married 63 years!! Wow! There was never a doubt that he was committed to his marriage....through the good and the bad. Marriage takes commitment and the will to love your spouse through it all. I know this is a legacy he has left for us and the importance of our wedding vows.....Austin and I are thankful for his commitment and example!
  • It's okay to be crazy about a sports team.....he was a huge MSU fan. I would watch a MSU and cheer for them, knowing he was watching and cheering for them at the same moment...in Michigan!:)
  • Living a humble life is living a full life. Grandpa lived his life so humbly, ready to help and serve other, often above his own interest or desires. It was shown in his relationship with family and even in his death (donating his body). I think of this verse "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests but also to the interests of others." Phillipians 2:3-4
One more thing I wanted to note is that when I was pregnant exactly a year ago, we were tossing out several boy names. And Jack was always a name I loved, especially because of all the positive and loving associations I had with our Grandpa. So, we named our dear Jack after this grandpa. We are sad that the Jacks were never able to meet.:( But we know his legacy will forever be a part of our family.
Grandpa, you will be missed. We are so thankful for you and the example that you lived. We love you very much!

1 comment:

Celebrating Life said...

what a beautiful story! I swear Jamie, you have a heart of gold. (and you have a beautiful family)