We celebrated my mom's 60th birthday this past weekend. My mom's sisters and my dad's sister came up for the week to celebrate this special occasion. We went to Tammy's house for lunch and then ate at a very nice steak house. I enjoyed time with my family. Tammy made a video slideshow of my mom but I think it is too long to share online. It was great reminiscing our wonderful childhood. My mom sacrificed so much to allow us to experience life. In addition, I wrote a small dedication/speech for my mom at the dinner. So, since I am in the process of making the blog into a book, I wanted to add this on the entry. Here is what I shared at the dinner and pictures below:
Becoming a mother has opened my eyes to see that all moms make self-sacrifices throughout their lives…it comes with the job description. And usually it’s without getting anything in return. I know you are no exception to this.
There are several things that I have inherited or learned from you over the years:
• Experience life to its fullest. Being “well-rounded” was very important to you, and because it was, the three of us got to experience life to it’s fullest. At an early age, you always provided us the opportunity to learn new sports, play instruments, travel, and try new things. Many of these experiences required a lot of encouragement, time, and finances on your behalf. As hard as it is to believe, these experiences were not all appreciated by Tammy, Naomi and I at the time. Let’s just say there are teeth bite marks on the Steinway piano. I vaguely remember somebody wanting to play outside with friends…but instead I had to practice the piano. Sorry, mom. Well, at least I can say (25 years later) that I appreciate the piano lessons and I am so glad that I learned how to play the piano!:) I truly appreciate all of the experiences and lessons that I took growing up. In addition, some of my greatest memories of my childhood are of our family vacations. I enjoyed the time relaxing, exploring new places and just being with our family. I loved it so much that I hope I can do the same for my kids…..although I hope they appreciate all the experiences and don’t bite the piano like I did!
• Being a people person. Throughout our childhood, I always remember you having a wide circle of friendships. And because of this you enjoyed hosting. I have so many great memories of your parties. You are the ultimate party planner. Everyone is guaranteed a fun night of great food and lots of laughter. I love that you and your friends would get together and just laugh all night. Through your example, you have taught me to fill my life with friends, to have fun and enjoy life with others.
• Valuing our family. If there is one thing I appreciate and remember the most from you…it is the value you place on family. You valued the role of a mother. You were always there to support, encourage and love us. You attended every major event….dance recitals, graduation, orchestra concerts…we always knew you would be there for us. You value the role of a sister. You and your sisters have also been great example on the strong bond that can grow over time between sisters. I love knowing that no matter what life circumstances comes eeymo’s and your way, that you will all be there to support one another. I am so thankful that Tammy Naomi and I are the same way. We are so blessed.
• Having a servant’s heart. I can remember many circumstances in my childhood that you put others ahead of yourself…especially when there was a need. If we got sick, you went out of your way to make us feel better. It was the best medicine! What makes you so special is that you didn’t do this just for our family, if any of your friends or church members went through a hard time, I saw you make meals, pray, and encourage others as well. If there is a need, you have always been there to help out in any way. You have been such a great example to me on serving others, and I hope I can do the same to all of my family and friends.
Mom, I appreciate all the things you have taught me in life. Thank you for all the sacrifices you made to be a mom. Thank you for instilling the value of family and friends. Thank you for all of the family vacations (especially to the Bahamas, Disneyworld, Korea, cross country car trip to California to name a few). Thank you for all the wonderful home-cooked Korean meals. Thank you for your example in staying committed in marriage for almost 35 years. Thank you for loving me through my high school years. Thank you for the most beautiful wedding. Thank you for allowing Austin (and me) to go and experience Korea. Thank you for all the love and support you give my kids. Thank you for the trip to the Mediterranean. Thank you for helping me out after the birth of each of my children. Thank you for teaching me the importance of serving others. Thank you for loving me, even when I didn’t appreciate the things you were teaching me. Thank you for being my mom.
I’ve learned so much from you. You are a great mom. Look how wonderful I turned out…you must have done something right!:)
Maddy and I showing off our new haircuts
4 comments:
I love the new haircuts. Maddy it looks adorable. Baylor can't wait to see you.
love your new do! Missed you last night at girls night out.
Love your new haircuts. Maddy cracks me up in every photo! I'd love to see you and the kids! Maybe we can plan a trip out to New Pal!
I LOVE your new haircuts. Maddy is the cutest! She cracks me up in every photo! I hope we can see you all soon, perhaps we'll come out to New Pal!
Post a Comment