Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Birth Story

I wanted to take one entry to write Jackson's birth story. So for those not interested....skip over this entry!:) I am hoping to make a memory book with my blog entry so, this ones for me to remember!

Throughout my 3 pregnancies, I have been lucky to have never had any morning sickness. I mainly go through a spell of exhaustion/tiredness during my first and third trimester. Otherwise, I feel great. So, I feel very blessed to have such great pregnancies.
Two weeks before my due date, my Dr stated that I had progressed from 2 cm dilated to 3 cm in just 4 days. So, she thought the baby would be coming early and she didn't think I would make it to my next appointment. This was the wrong thing to say to somebody who is very impatient. My expectation went from thinking I was going to go one week late (because of Drew being a week past his due date) to thinking it was going to happen any moment from now. Well, my due date (November 3) rolled by and on Nov 7, I had a non stress test and ultrasound to ensure everything was looking okay. They found that I was having contractions every 10 minutes and everything looked good. So, my Dr. scheduled me to come to the hospital on Monday to "break my water".
I was so excited for so many reason, most importantly, to meet Jackson! But the other reason because Jackson was going to be born on the 10th. Austin and I were married on June 10. My parents anniversary is on May 10, Austin's parents anniversary is on July 10. Then Maddy was born on July 10 and Drew was born on February 10. So, for some reason, the 10th is a very special day for us. I wanted Jackson to be born on the 10th but didn't hold on to this. Well, it must have been meant to be since I made it to Monday morning.
Austin and I went to the hospital on Monday morning. My Dr. broke my water around 9 am. I was told that I would not be given Pitocin (a drug used commonly to induce labor). So, it was going to be a waiting game to see if my labor progressed naturally. I asked if I could walk around the floor until things progressed. So, I walked around the floor (checking in every hour) until 4pm. They did a check and I was 7 cm dialated. I felt great, had consistent contractions but no pain. So, I kept walking around until 6 or 7pm. I honestly was considering giving birth without an epidural at this point because there was minimal pain with the contractions. But, I went to use the restroom and turned around and threw up. I started shaking from weakness (not being allowed to eat for over 24 hours). And I decided to get the epidural to gain some strength for the pushing. So, I received my epidural and when they checked me I was already ~10 cm dialated. So, they called my Dr. and once she arrived I pushed for around 20 minutes and Jackson arrived. It was a wonderful experience. I couldn't have asked for a better delivery. I am thankful for everyone who prayed for me. I specifically asked for people to pray that I had good nurses (and I ended up having a girl I met a week before through a mutual friend...and she was great!), that I would have my Dr. deliver me, that I wouldn't have a c-section and that I would have the baby on the 10th! And everything worked out perfectly. It was such a beautiful day. Here are a few more pictures from the hospitals and a video of Drew's reaction to meeting Jackson for the first time (priceless). Enjoy!


Steve, Austin and Jack
Erin and Rachel came to visit me in the hospital. We were laughing and having so much fun!
Drew and his best friend, Papaw!
Dave, Jenni, and Austin all sporting IU attire!
My mom and Jackson

No comments: