Sunday, May 13, 2007

Soaking up Seattle!


Austin and I got to visit Erik and Lori in Seattle last week. We had a wonderful time visiting Seattle and spending time with Erik and Lori. They were on a break from school so we got to spend most of our time together.
Here are the highlights from our trip:
On Saturday, we ate at Whole Foods. This was my first Whole Foods experience...and I hope I have many more. They had a variety of ethnic and healthy foods. It was delicious. We then had dinner at Erik's place followed by a stroll at a nearby park.
On Sunday, we ate at a restaurant called El Greco (voted best breakfast for the last 3 years). I had the best french toast I have ever tasted. I highly recommend going if you are in Seattle. Then we went to Erik and Lori's church. I have been to several churches over the years and I can truly say that this was one of the most memorable. The thing that stood out was the diversity in the church. If I had to guess, it was about 45% black, 45% white and 10% "other". It was a beautiful picture to see a place where "everyone was colorblind". It made me wonder what the world would be like if all churches had this kind of diversity. The world would truly be a different place. I loved the style of worship and everything about the church! It was a great experience and worship.
After church, we visited the famous Pikes Place Public Market where we saw the famous fishermen throwing fish across the market! It was a lot of fun to see all the different stands of beautiful flowers and fresh fruit. I loved the atmosphere!
After the market we rode a ferry to Bainbridge Island. It was a fun ferry ride and a beauiful view of downtown Seattle (and the space needle). Can you tell it was windy....check out my hair!:)



On Monday, we had a beautiful, sunny Seattle day. We went to one of Erik and Lori's favorite bagel shop, Noahs. Then we drove to Snoqualmie Falls.


We then hiked up Little Si. It was a 5 mile hike......and worth every step. The view from the top was so beautiful and it was such an accomplishment to see how high we climbed! Austin and I enjoy hiking but haven't had many opportunities to hike since Maddy and Andrew were born....so it was one of my favorite parts of the trip!


After the hike we went to Kerry Park to see a beauiful view of the Space Needle and Mount Rainier.

On Tuesday, we walked around the Arboretum and took lots of pictures of the beautiful blooms. Erik had to go to work in the afternoon and Lori started classes today, so Austin and I got to go on a date! We ate at Edgewater Hotel...and enjoyed sitting by the water and soaked up the view. It was a great way to end the trip.
Austin and I planned this trip last year (to be our yearly "getaway", instead of the Marriage Life conference) I really enjoyed the time Austin and I got to explore Seattle together. It was also a great time to get to know Lori. I feel like we have been friends for years. I am so excited that she is going to be a part of the family. Erik and Lori, thank you so much for making our first trip to Seattle a memorable one! Both of you went out of your way to make our experience the best. I wouldn't change anything about our visit!
We had a wonderful time on our trip. But, I have to admit....it was VERY hard to leave the kids. Probably the hardest time I have had. Andrew had a fever a few days before we left and then broke out in a rash after we left. The Dr. believes it was Fifth Disease (a viral fever/rash). So, needless to say, I called the grandparents frequently to check on Andrew. When I worked full time, I was used to leaving Maddy for the day....but now that I am with the kids all the time.....separation is very difficult! They are a part of me. It was definitely home sweet home...to hear the pitter patter of their feet and to see a big smile on their faces when Austin and I walked in the door. Pure bliss!
Hope everyone enjoyed their Mother's Day!

No comments: