Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Maddy's New Room

As we prepare for the arrival of our new baby, we have recently moved Maddy to her new room. It is pretty bare right now, with only 2 things… her bed and a bookshelf. But, it’s not just any bookshelf… it is a beautifully handcrafted Maple bookshelf that her dad and grandpa made together this winter!! Maddy loves the new bookshelf.... and she loves having all of her books in her room. Maybe a little too much!!!
Maddy typically takes 1-2 hour nap in the afternoon. (Both Maddy and mom both need this time to re-cooperate!) Well, this week Maddy skipped her nap 2 days in a row. I would hear her taking her books off the bookshelf, turning pages, and "reading" out loud. I let her stay in her room, so she could have some down time but she never took a nap. Both days I found most of the books off the shelf at the end of her "nap" time. Well, it was time for me to take some action!
So, yesterday I put her down for her nap and told her "NO BOOKS" and that she had to stay in her bed. I knew she would test the new limits... so I was determined to stay by her door until she understood who was the boss!:) Well, for the first 5 minutes she stayed in her bed... but then I heard her take a book off the bookshelf. I quickly opened the door to tell her it was time to sleep and before I could say anything this is what I saw: Maddy scurry her little legs to the bed and leaping in. When she noticed she still had a book in her hand, she threw the book into the bookshelf and then she laid her head down in bed and closed her eyes (to pretend she was sleeping).
I couldn't believe it. She’s 18 months and she is already sneaky!!! I wonder where she learns these things? I had to do this 2 more times before she finally took her 2-hour nap! The intervention worked, because I have put her down several days in a row and she's taking naps again!:) YEAH!!

No comments: